Spicy Hot Cross Muffins
This is an easy and simple variation for hot cross buns.
500 ml (2 cups) cake flour
10 ml (2 tsp) baking powder
2 ml (¼ tsp) bicarbonate of soda
1 ml (pinch) salt
10 ml (2 tsp) ground cinnamon
80 ml (⅓ cup) castor sugar
40 g (¼ cup) Safari dried cranberries
75 g (½ cup) Safari seedless raisins or sultanas
2 extra-large eggs
125 ml (½ cup) buttermilk
150 ml cooking oil
5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla essence
125 ml (½ cup) icing sugar, sifted
10 ml (2 tsp) water
1. Sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon together.
2. Add castor sugar, cranberries and raisins. Mix well.
3. Whisk eggs, buttermilk, oil and essence together. Add to dry ingredients and mix lightly with a spoon, until just combined. Do not overmix; mixture should still be lumpy.
4. Spoon mixture into greased muffin pans, filling each to three-quarters full.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for 20 – 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
6. Icing: Mix icing sugar and water together until smooth. Place into a small piping bag, fitted with a small, round nozzle, and pipe crosses on the muffins. Enjoy warm with butter.