This delicious tart is a variation for Simnel cake, with the 11 balls to represent the true apostles.
400 g ready-made shortcrust or puff pastry
125 ml (½ cup) smooth apricot jam
200 ml (¾ cup) Safari fruit cake mix
125 g butter or margarine, softened
125 ml (½ cup) castor sugar
3 extra-large eggs
250 ml (1 cup) Safari ground almonds
30 ml (2 Tbsp) cornflour
60 ml (¼ cup) Safari flaked almonds
125 g marzipan
icing sugar for dusting
1. Base: Roll out the pastry to a thickness of 3 mm on a lightly floured surface. Line a greased loose-based tart pan of about 20 x 28 cm.
2. Cover with clingfilm and chill for about 30 minutes. Prick the base, line with greaseproof paper and fill with dried beans. Bake blind in a preheated oven at 190 °C for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 180 °C.
3. Filling: Spread the apricot jam over the pastry base. Sprinkle fruit cake mix over. Cream the butter and castor sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Stir in the ground almonds and cornflour.
4. Spread the filling over the fruit base and sprinkle with flaked almonds. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until done and lightly browned.
5. Roll the marzipan into 11 balls and place on baked tart. Bake tart further for about 3 – 5 minutes for the marzipan balls to turn soft and flatten. Set tart aside to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar when serving.
Makes 1 large tart