This boozy dessert is a mixture of soft cake, fruit and creamy custard.
125 g butter or margarine, softened
250 ml (1 cup) castor sugar
2 extra-large eggs
5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla essence
500 ml (2 cups) self-raising flour
1 ml (pinch) salt
200 ml (¾ cup) milk
100 g Safari sundried seedless raisins
100 g Safari sundried cranberries
about 100 ml sweet sherry
625 ml (2½ cups) store-bought custard
250 ml (1 cup) fresh cream, whipped
Safari sundried cranberries and pecan nuts, coarsely chopped for garnishing
1. Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until light and creamy. Add essence.
2. Sift flour and salt together. Add, alternately with milk, to egg mixture. Mix well.
3. Spoon mixture into a lined and greased 22.5 cm loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for 50 - 60 minutes.
4. Leave in pan for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Cut cake into smaller pieces and use half of cake pieces to make first layer in eight glass or serving bowls. Soak fruit in sherry for a few minutes and sprinkle with sherry over cake layer, top with custard. For second layer, repeat with remaining cake, fruit and custard. Garnish with whipped cream, cranberries and nuts.
Serves 6 - 8
- Use store-bought cake, instead of baking a sponge cake.
- Chill for a few hours in the refrigerator or overnight for flavour to improve.
- Instead of individual servings, make one large trifle.