Lamb & Prune Baked Couscous
- 100 g SAFARI Prunes (pitted)
- 40g SAFARI Flaked Almonds, toasted
- 30 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 ml fresh ginger, finely grated
- 500g deboned lamb cubes
- 10 ml ground coriander
- 5 ml ground cumin
- 2 ml tumeric
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- salt and milled black pepper
- 250g couscous
- 300 ml chicken stock or water
- 1 (410g) can chickpeas, rinsed drained (optional)
- 20g coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Coriander leaves
- Lemon wedges or pickled lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180° C.
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof casserole.
- Add the onion and fry for 3-4 minutes over moderate heat. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the lamb , ground coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper (optional) and cinnamon and toss together.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or untill done to your liking (this will depend on how big the cubes of lamb are)
- Remove from the oven , sprinkle the couscous over the lamb.
- Add the stock and stir to combine. Cover the casserole and return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Then stir the chickpeas (optional) prunes, almonds and coriander in, Cover and bake for a further 5 minutes .
- Allow to stand, covered , for 5 minutes before serving .
- Top with corainder leaves and serve with lemon wedges of pickled lemon
Chefs Hint: Add 1 ml cayenne pepper if you like hotter food.
You may also like these delicious recipes