Custard Tart with Spicy Rum & Raisin Sauce
- 250 ml SAFARI Seedless Raisins, coarsely chopped
- 10 ml MOIR'S Vanilla Essence
- 250 ml red heart rum (or brandy), heated
- 3 whole jumbo eggs
- 3 jumbo egg yolks
- 65 ml castor sugar
- 500 ml prepared custard
- 250 ml cream
- 30 ml butter
- pinch salt
- 1 x 24 cm baked short crust in the baking tin
- 65 ml soft brown sugar
- 15 ml corn flour
- 5 ml ground nutmeg
- small pinch of ground cloves
- Cover the raisins with the rum or brandy and set aside.
- Beat together the whole eggs, egg yolks and castor sugar and until light and fluffy. Add the custard, cream, vanilla, butter and salt and whisk well.
- Pour the mixture into the pastry shell and bake in the oven preheated to 170 ºC for 40 – 45 minutes or until the custard is softly set. Don’t worry if the custard wobbles slightly in the centre. The innate heat will continue to cook the egg for a further few minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour 125 ml water in a pan and add the raisins with its liquid and bring to a boil. Add a pinch of salt and then the brown sugar and stir until dissolved. Mix the corn flour with a little cold water into a paste and stir into the raisin mixture. Stir until thickened then remove from heat and stir in the ground nutmeg and tiny pinch of cloves. Pour the sauce over the still-warm tart, smooth the top and serve.
You may also like these delicious recipes