Hot Cross Buns
- 75 g (cup) SAFARI Cake Mix
- 560 g (4 cups) SASKO Cake Flour
- 310 ml (1 cups) milk
- 60 g butter or margarine
- 3 ml (tsp) salt
- 10 ml (1 Tbsp) ground cinnamon
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground mixed spice
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) castor sugar
- 10 g (1 sachet) instant dry yeast
- 1 extra-large egg, beaten
Paste for Crosses
- 60 ml (cup) SASKO Cake Flour
- 5 ml (1 tsp) castor sugar
- about 40 ml water
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) water
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) castor sugar
- Heat milk and butter together in microwave and set aside to cool slightly.
- Sift flour, salt and spices together. Add castor sugar, yeast and fruit mix.
- Add warm milk mixture and beaten egg to dry ingredients. Mix and knead lightly to a soft dough. Add a little more milk, if require
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 – 10 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a large, lightly oiled bowl, cover and leave to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Divide dough into ten equal pieces and roll into smooth balls. Place onto a greased baking tray and cover. Leave to rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes, or until buns have risen.
Paste for crosses Mix flour and castor sugar together and add enough water to form a smooth paste. Place the paste into a piping bag, fitted with a small, round nozzle, and pipe crosses on the buns.
Bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for 15 – 20 minutes.
Glaze Heat milk and sugar together in a small, heavy-based saucepan. Brush buns with hot glaze. Enjoy warm with butter. Eat on same day of baking.