Easy Hot Cross Buns
- 200 g SAFARI Dried Fruit Cake Mix
- 750 g SASKO Cake Flour
- 30 ml (2Tbsp) MOIR'S Baking Powder
- 10 ml (2tsp) MOIR'S Bicarbonate of Soda
- 200 g Icing Sugar
- 150 g Margarine / Butter
- 1 Egg
- 10 ml (2tsp) Mixed Spice
- 500 ml Milk
- 50 ml Apricot Jam
- 100 ml Water
- 1 cup SASKO Flour
- CERES Water
- 15 ml (1Tbsp) Margarine
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Sift the dry ingredients together (excluding Bicarbonate of Soda).
- Beat the eggs and milk together. Add the Cake Mix and Bicarbonate of Soda to the liquid. Add the margarine to the dry ingredients and rub in until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients bit by bit. Do not over-mix the dough (the dough must have a soft texture but still workable).
- Press the soft dough to a thickness of Approx. 4 cm and cut buns out with a cutter. Place the buns relatively close to one another on a greased baking sheet.
For the cross: 1. Sift the flour and add the margarine. Rub in until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. 2. Add the water bit by bit until the dough is sloppy. Mix well to a smooth dough. 3. Using a piping bag, squeeze horizontal and vertical lines on top of the buns. 4. Bake at 180C for approximately 30 minutes until golden brown.
For the Glaze: 1. Heat the apricot jam and water together until well mixed. 2. Spread the syrup over the hot buns.