Festive Fruit Cake
Serves 1 Large Cake
- 500 g SAFARI Cake Mix
- 100 g SAFARI Pitted Dates, chopped coarsely
- 100 g SAFARI Flaked Almonds
- 100 g MOIR'S Red Glacé Cherries, halved
- 500 ml SASKO Cake Flour
- 250 g butter
- 250 ml brandy (or black rooibos tea or coffee)
- 250 ml brown sugar
- 10 ml Bicarbonate of Soda
- 5 ml mixed spice
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 125 ml dry sherry (or orange juice)
- 125 ml milk
To decorate: apricot jam, glace and maraschino cherries and whole blanched SAFARI almonds
- Spray a 26-cm spring form pan with non-stick spray and line the bottom and sides with 3 layers of thick brown paper. Line the brown paper with baking paper and thoroughly spray the baking paper with non-stick spray. Place 4 sheets of newspaper onto a baking sheet wider than 26 cm. Place the prepared spring form pan onto the baking sheet and set aside until required.
- Place the cake mix, dates, cherries, almonds, butter, brandy, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice in a saucepan.
- Bring to boil, lower heat and cook for 5 minutes while stirring. Leave to cool for 1 hour.
- Beat the eggs, sherry and milk together then add the flour and fruit mixture. Mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake pan and bake in the middle of a preheated oven at 150º C
- for 60 - 70 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- When cool, brush the top of the cake with apricot jam and decorate with cherries and almonds.
You may also like these delicious recipes